Friday, April 4, 2014

Airplane Tray Caddies

Our friends had triplets this past December.  Three perfect, identical little boys.  About a month ago, it was discovered that all three of the boys have cancer, retinoblastoma, a rare form of childhood eye cancer.  One of the babies has already had to have his eye removed and all three are being monitored closely and treated every two weeks.  Aside from the regular 'horribleness' of the whole thing, their treatments are only available all the way across the country.

 The family's Blogspot HERE. Fundraiser Website HERE
So envision this, all three babies have to fly from Edmonton to Toronto every two weeks for the next two years.  Each infant must have their own adult traveling companion.  (Did I mention they also have a two year old?)  Also, only one infant may be on each row because there are only 4 oxygen masks per row.  They can't even sit by each other.

In an attempt to find ways to make this 4+ hour flight more manageable, their mother, Leslie found a few "Airplane Tray Covers" on Pinterest and requested someone make them a few.

Leslie's sister, Wendy, is my sister in law.  I have known their family since Wendy and I were college roommates and Leslie was just 3 years old.  Wendy asked me if I could come up with something that would work for them.


The jist is that you make a cover that slips over the tray.  While the tray is in it up position, the pockets of the caddy are all exposed and can be used for bottles, pacifiers, burp cloths and such.


I am sorry these pictures are so blurry :/  I will figure out this camera some day!


Each baby has their own color.  Green, blue and orange.


Side note- My daughters life long friend is expecting her first baby in June.  They have found out that their little girl will be born with severe congenital heart defects.  The family has made these cute stuffed giraffes to help raise money to pay medical expenses.  I figured that the triplets needed a giraffe for their plane rides too :) (The etsy shop to buy these darling giraffes is called TheStuffedGiraffe located HERE)

The following pictures are in a wacky order.  I have been blogging from my phone and the computer and this post is a giant mess! Sorry :(

The small navy blue bottom pocket would fit a cell phone or toy.

The navy pocket is just a short pocket over the top of a longer one.  I thought it might fit a toy or something.


The top pocket is long and goes all the way to the bottom.


I added a zippered pocket to each one along the side.  I don't know what they will use it for, but I thought it would be a good idea :)





The back side.  Virtually all of the fabric was designed by Emily Herrick, one of my dearest friends! The fabric collections are Technicolor, Going Coastal and Shore Thing.


Each is lined with a coordinating fabric.


I thought it might be nice if they rolled up.



Smaller elastic topped pocket for a pacifier.


Working on the blue one :)


This is the bottle pocket.  Leslie wanted it made so that when the tray went down, the bottle wouldn't fall out.

I figured a little elastic would do the trick ;D



The caddies are on their way right now via overnight post to Pennsylvania where sister Sara will fly from there Sunday to Toronto to Leslie and the babies, Mason, Thomas and Luke :)

Unfortunately the Giraffes wouldn't fit into the overnight envelope so they are headed up to grandma on Saturday so she can take them with her the next time she heads their way, in a week or two.

**another side note, Leslie's sister Kimberly is having twins in just about a month.  This wonderful family has their hands FULL!! (Thank heavens Leslie has 6 sisters, one awesome brother and two AMAZING parents)

The finished size of each tray cover is 17.5" by 10.5"




6 comments:

  1. Wow, what a fabulous idea! And Wow, what a HUGE trial this family has! And Wow, what beautiful babies! I will add this sweet family to my prayers. And of course, you would make some things that are so useful so quickly to help them out. Way to go. And, I love the zippered pocket. It suits you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I can say this, crap, crap, crap! My heart goes out to the family, I know what it is like to have a child with such a diagnosis, then triple it. I will pray and keep this family in my thoughts and know that whatever they face they will find strength through love. The practical love you have given them is beautiful. Their doctors and medical support will also get strength through love and prayers. Bless them all. Xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! Praying for these precious babies...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the traycover idea, and I hope everything works out ok for the twins and their family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great idea. I still can't wrap my brain around having such a trial! I'm glad they have such wonderful friends and family to support them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your thoughts! I LOVE to hear from you :) I cherish every word :) I read ALL of your comments and try to reply to every single one.... but it sometimes takes me a few days xoxo
***If I don't get back to you, it is likely that you are a "No Reply Blogger" :( ***